Skip to content
Steamed Brown Bread
- 2 -24oz empty cans for steaming the bread
- butter for greasing the cans
- ¾ c white flour
- ½ c rye flour
- ½ c cornmeal
- ½ c quick oats or whole oats ground up a little
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ c raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- ¾ c molasses
- 1 ½ c buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 325F, heat up water to make a water bath for steaming the bread and grease 2-18oz cans with butter.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and then toss the soaked raisins with the dry ingredients to coat them, this will prevent them sinking to the bottom of the cans.
- Add in the molasses and buttermilk, mix till fully incorporated and divide between the two cans, about 18 oz each.
- Cover the tops tightly with foil, place in a 2-inch-deep pan and fill ¾ of the way with hot water.
- Bake at 325F for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with butter or fry in butter till crispy.