Skip to content
Savory French Toast with Crab Hollandaise
- 6 eggs
- ¾ c milk
- 1 ½ tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 loaf of Italian bread cut into thick slices
- butter for cooking
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- juice of 1 ½ lemons
- ½ c butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ½lb crab meat
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ¼ c dill, chopped
- ¼ c parsley, chopped
- In a shallow dish whisk together the ingredients for the French toast minus the bread and butter.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Dip the slices of bread into the egg mixture letting them soak for at least 30 seconds per side.
- Add butter to the skillet and then a few slices of soaked bread, cook for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Keep warm in a 200F oven while you make the Hollandaise sauce.
- Fill a pot with a few inches of water and find a metal bowl to place over it that does not touch the water.
- Into the bowl add the egg yolks, whole egg and lemon juice, whisk them together and slowly drizzle in the melted butter whisking continuously.
- Keep the sauce moving while it cooks, switch to a rubber spatula if necessary so you don’t miss any spots. Cook the mixture until it thickens.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining ingredients, fold everything together, taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Serve the French toast with a generous amount of sauce poured over top, garnish with an additional pinch of cayenne.