Caramelized Shallot Orzo Salad
- 8 shallots or 1 large red onions
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 green onions, sliced
- ½ c whole almonds, toasted and chopped
- 4 c packed spinach (½lb), roughly chopped
- 1/2 c packed parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- zest and juice of 1 lemons
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 2 ½ c uncooked orzo
- Put a pot of water on to boil while you prep the salad ingredients.
- Slice the shallots into half moons and caramelize on medium low heat with a little oil and pinch of salt. When they start to gain color and stick to the bottom of the pan add the garlic and sauté for another two minutes. Add the cooked shallots to a large mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl add sliced green onions, toasted and chopped almonds, spinach, parsley, salt, lemon zest and juice and the olive oil.
- When the salad ingredients are ready cook the orzo, once done drain and add to the salad ingredients, the heat from the hot orzo will wilt the spinach.
- Mix together, taste and adjust for seasoning, serve at any temperature, I like it at room temperature.